Friday 29 May 2009

So many farms, so little... time.

I received responses from three organic farms that are interested in the project and are willing to let me come film for a few days. So now the challenge is deciding which farm will yield the most interesting story. Of course, there will be amazing stories to dig up on each farm (pun intended), but I want to make rational decision and really consider the logistics.

Here they are listed geographically closest- farthest away from NYC:

Threshold Farm
Two hours by train from New York City
45 acres of farmland that includes an orchard
they grow vegetables for a Community-Supported Agricultural network (CSA)
animals include cows, pigs, chickens, and a few dogs and cats
"the farm is off the grid and has no running water"- this sounds like it could be good
bicycles are available for the WWOOFers to ride into the village of Philmont 1.5 miles away
WWOOFers either camp in tents on the farm or if there's room they stay in a guest room in the farm house
farmers have two young children and seem very friendly and welcoming

Turquoise Barn
Three and a half hours from NYC by car
located in the foothills of the Catskills
owned by former residents of Williamsburg, Brooklyn
farm includes an art gallery space
the farmers offer cooking classes which are held in one of the barns
one of the farmers has a "raw" vegan diet
they offer the farm as a space for retreats, wedding, etc..
WWOOFers stay in a room in the main house with the family

Bittersweet Farm
Over five hours by car from New York City
in fact, I think this one is closer to Montreal than it is to NYC
112 acres where they grow vegetables and raise hogs, sheep, and chickens
WWOOFers stay in a log cabin in their sleeping bags or camp in tents if the cabin is full
Off-farm activities include canoeing, hiking, and swimming.
This farm seems pretty isolated which could make for a good experience

My plan is to go on Thursday and film until Saturday. If I go to Turquoise Barn or Bittersweet I will need to rent a car which is a significant expense, but may be worth it in the end. I'm leaning more towards Threshold or Bittersweet because they seem to be a little more WWOOF-oriented which is ultimately what my story is about.  Also both those farms have a variety of animals which will, no doubt, make for good, possibly funny B roll. I'm still working out the details with my farm contacts so if one falls apart at least I have two backups.

I really need a personal assistant to plan my trip and make sure I'm ready to go by Thursday. It looks like I'm going to go by myself which is a little daunting, but I think I can handle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment